225g self raising flour
75g caster sugar
1tsp baking powder
125g unsalted butter- cubed
150g dried fruit
2tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160c Fan/Gas 4
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment
- Mix the flour, sugar and baking powder in a bowl and rub in the cubed butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, then mix in the dried fruit.
- In a clean bowl, beat the egg and milk together with the vanilla extract.
- Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir with a spoon until the mixture just comes together as a thick lumpy dough. add a teaspoon more milk to help it stick together if needed. (the texture should be a thick lumpy dough - don't be tempted to add too much liquid)
- Place small balls of the mixture on the prepared baking tray. Leaving space between them as they will flatten and spread out to double their size during cooking. You should make around 12 cakes.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool for a few minutes on the tray before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.